Vent Hood Cleaning Help

SunriseMobile

I am new to vent hood cleaning, but ive been doing fleet washing for awhile now. Ive heard that i had to get some fire safety prevention permit before i can start vent hood cleaning. Do anyone know if that is true and where i can get this permit if i have too.

Flue Steam

Check with your local AHJ they will tell you what certification and training is required. Have you got a copy of NFPA 96?

SunriseMobile

thanks alot

well ill have to check what certification and training i need.. plus i need a copy of the NFPA 96. Can u tell me where i can get it.. thanks

johnny

Cleaning kitchen vent systems is pretty straight forward. No need for certification, use common sense, anywhere the smoke from the kitchen goes up- clean - the canopy over the cooking line remove the filters and clean them, see all the way up the chimney-clean and remove the black stuff from the walls of the duct from the canopy to the fan on the roof. Go to the roof tip the fan so you can clean the fan blades and the fan in general. When it's all nice and shiny go back downstairs and polish the hood canopy after you dry the waterspots inside the canopy. Replace the now like new cleaned filters, clean up your mess and place a sticker near the switches. Clean everything that looks dirty. You might have to scrape the duct to clean the grease before you wash it. Use a hot water machine as hot as you can get, plenty of sodium hydroxide sprayed on the black stuff(grease), wear protective clothing, face shields and gloves. That's pretty much all there is to it.

You'll find alot of jobs you go on haven't been completely cleaned - either the fans or the ducts haven't been done. Take digital pictures. You have the choice of doing it right. Also be sure and get your company covered with at least 2 million $'s in case you happen to be the last cleaner prior to the fire. And by all means keep records of your work and get signatures from restaurant representatives on your work. In court it's your word against theirs so put it in writing if their system is lacking in any area.

Last edited:

ffjay

I'm think bout starting to do that. It sounds really messy. Am I not getting something. If you go into a tight space(kitchen hood) and spray high pressure water seem as though water will go every where. sound very indepth.

johnny

Very messy. You can adjust water pressure at the nozzle or with adjustable gun. The mess is on your equip and you.You clean up the restaurant mess. Know what you are getting into also , it's a big liability issue. You become part of the responsible chain in a restaurant fire. Insurance, lawyers, court, lawsuits, etc. They try to pin the fire cause on someone and it's usually the hoodcleaner who pays some of the bill, unless you can show paperwork that you did everything by the numbers. The job itself is dirty and straightfoward, remove the grease on everything from hoods, ducts and fans, top to bottom to within a hairs thickness of grease or bare metal. Many companies don't do the inbetween cleaning prefering to clean the filters and hoods which is the part that gets seen. It's not something to take lightly if there is ever a fire where you've "cleaned" and cut corners think of a firefighter falling through the roof and then face up to the life and property loss.

dlee

Sunrise, give me a call 817.301.4688. I'll tell you everything you need to know about the DFW area and hood cleaning.

SunriseMobile

hey dlee

hey dlee, i gave u a call at that number today and was trying to find out some information because im about to get started on some vent hood cleaning.. got some work already waiting.. just need to get bonded.. and i heard i need to some kind of fire suppression certification.. well give me a call at 469-855-5983 if u can.

thanks

joe

Our Sponsors