Newbie from AR

goatroper

Hi, all. Tom here. I'm on the facilities mgt side of the biz, and am ready to join the other team. All my hard work and great ideas get gobbled up by my incompetent boss, or I get the blame for anything bad that happens - even if its not at one of my properties. I manage over 120 properties in 2 states, mostly financial centers.

I'm evaluating equipment. Been looking at the Landa and Hydrotek units, open for suggestions. Want to get it all right now, not add pieces as I go along. Plan to focus on what I know best: comm'l concrete / asphalt parking lots, new comm'l construction, brick cleaning. Most competitors (current customers!!) around here are Wal-Mart / Lowe's equipped part-timers that are looking for "spray and pay". I'm going to go in full-time and should (SHOULD) be able to sell service.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Esp. on equipment, pricing (I've seen Cody's dissertation), and marketing the biz. Love the discussions and info in here.

Mike Gwas

Landa is GREAT equipment....... However pressure washers are alot like cars, you have Ford guys and Chevy guys....

crispy crittr

Hello Tom,

If you are in the Little Rock area stop by and say hello. We don't get very many "in person" visitors.

We are at 1000 Nix Road, 10 blocks due south of Bale Chevrolet on Chenal Parkway (West Little Rock). Or, about 1.5 miles west of the I-430/I-630 interchange.

Good luck,
Chuck

Douglas Hicks

You manage 120 commercial properties, have you awarded bids for cleaning to any new pressure washer start-ups lately? Now that would give a boost
to any deserving pressure washer!

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

goatroper

Haven't awarded any long-term contracts, just month-to-month for the past year. Exception is in areas that are boogers to get to - far southeast and southwest AR.

I'm being a little selfish. Well, actually, a lot selfish. The PW'rs around here are woefully equipped - none that I've talked to have reclaim equipment, most have Sears-grade washers, and very few have adequate / any insurance. When I go on my own, I've made arrangements to get first shot at the portfolio on a yearly renewal. Still waffling on a mid-April or mid-May break. Kinda hard to leave the security of full med benefits, company car, and, oh yeah, a steady income.

Biggest fear is pricing. I've got the nuts on the banking industry, but have an opportunity to get dibs on a REALLY large shopping center. I'm afraid I'll price myself out of competition with the lowballers around here, or will get in the job and lose my azz. To that, any recommendations on equipment choices to go 30' up, concrete / stucco / granite, and 300K sf+ ??

goatroper

Chuck,

I was just at Bale today drooling over a 3500 dually 4x4. Would pull the stink off of a baby's turd.

I'll have to swing by and check ya out this week. Gotta run to Ft Smith tomorrow, but might surprise you Thurs.

Dave Olson

Hello Tom,

You really need to consider starting your business slowly. I can relate to your frustration with your employer, even thou
It has been 20 years since I’ve worked for someone else!

Protect your assets, income (including health insurance) until your new business can prove itself.

I suggest starting part-time. After a period (3 years or so) you will know much better than today if what you think might happen will or won’t!! In the meantime you won’t have missed too many meals! :)

Ok, I will now get off of my soapbox. :rolleyes:

Dave Olson

Our Sponsors