Chemicals VS. Power

L

lightning

I have a 2300 psi 2gpm unit that im going to be stuck using until i can upgrade. I have had been told that i need at least a 3000 psi and 4 gpm to be competitive. At this point Im not interested in being competitive and am trying to just trying to get back into the work force and make $ part time.. Ive made a 2 year sacrifice for my family by not working so my wife could persue her carear. We have 4 kids and day care was killing us but we now have 2 in school and 2 at home and I feel its time to go back to work. I want to do quality work and want my customers to be happy. Is there any kind of chems, chem mixtures ect. ect. that does most the cleaning 4 u. I would realy apresiate any help at this point. Im not going to start until i know i can do right by my customers.

H2Ocean

You are in store for many opinions and tons of great advice. The only thing I know for sure is that with 2 GPM you are going to be hurting big time. You say you want to use more or stronger chems but that will call for more GPM. You need volume for washing/rinsing. I'll step back and learn on this one but I'll bet the pros will tell you the same and go into much better detail. Good Luck Mr. Mom..that is not a cheap shot, i admire a father who takes care of his family. :)

grasshawg

You've posted this question in the "roof" forum. So I'm going to assume you are referring solely to roof chems. Do search on sodium hypochlorite, trisdodium phosphate (TSP), & sodium hydroxide (I don't reccommend it).
Various Pressure washing suppliers carry name brand products specially formulated for roof washing. A google search will help you there. I give up on posting links. Can't ever tell if they'll be deleted or not.
Take Care,
Randy

L

lightning

sidding too

grasshawg said:
You've posted this question in the "roof" forum. So I'm going to assume you are referring solely to roof chems. Do search on sodium hypochlorite, trisdodium phosphate (TSP), & sodium hydroxide (I don't reccommend it).
Various Pressure washing suppliers carry name brand products specially formulated for roof washing. A google search will help you there. I give up on posting links. Can't ever tell if they'll be deleted or not.
Take Care,
Randy
actually im looking to do just sidding and roofs. Im not sure why i chose this forum

L

lightning

H2Ocean said:
You are in store for many opinions and tons of great advice. The only thing I know for sure is that with 2 GPM you are going to be hurting big time. You say you want to use more or stronger chems but that will call for more GPM. You need volume for washing/rinsing. I'll step back and learn on this one but I'll bet the pros will tell you the same and go into much better detail. Good Luck Mr. Mom..that is not a cheap shot, i admire a father who takes care of his family. :)
I havnt even started yet...I want to get all the info i can first but im hoping to start A.S.A.P. I'll be insured but i want to do all i can to do it the right way and make a good name for my biz.

grasshawg

H2Ocean said:
You will learn tons...these guys are very experienced.
Thanks, H2O, but I must confess I'm still in the learning stages myself. But I am eager to pass on what I've learned to others. And I'm learning fast, and as I've said before: This is one of those things where the learning never stops. If you ever have a day where you don't learn something new, go home, and stay there.
That has been the main motivating factor for me over the years. Makes you never want to stop trying-------Class dismissed.
Randy

Last edited:

Revive

Learning

Grasshawg. U R Rite Again. If you didn't learn anything yet today,do what you are doing now.Spend time on one or all the BB's until you do.

douseahouse

welcome

welcome to forums,

you've chosen the right place to learn. these guys are great! the 1st thing you will probably learn that you won't need that 3000psi washer to do roofs unless you have an application that requires an x-jet nozzle. you'll find that low pressure is all you need so you're going to have to decide on what type of pump you will want to get. the most popular is the shur-flow 1.8gm at 60psi (available at northern tool) but everyone has their own preference. keep asking questions...that's why we're here.

good luck,

rando

PressurePros

Get the most machine you can afford. 3000 psi is plenty in my opinion. I would sacrifice pis for flow any day of the week.

This point hasn't really been made yet. DON'T USE ANYTHING OVER 100 PSI ON ROOFS. Thats not 2000 thats 200. Using two thousand will strip about ten years off the life of an asphalt shingle. The same pretty much goes for siding. The right detergents and low pressure.

russ s

i rinse with my chem tipand the nozzle is about 3 to 4 feet from the roof so it is like nothing more than a hard rain when i rinse

L

lightning

thank you

douseahouse said:
welcome to forums,

you've chosen the right place to learn. these guys are great! the 1st thing you will probably learn that you won't need that 3000psi washer to do roofs unless you have an application that requires an x-jet nozzle. you'll find that low pressure is all you need so you're going to have to decide on what type of pump you will want to get. the most popular is the shur-flow 1.8gm at 60psi (available at northern tool) but everyone has their own preference. keep asking questions...that's why we're here.

good luck,

rando
i apreciate the help. So what cleans the roof if not the volume of water or the psi? If its the cems could ya elaberate on the type, mixtures, and how you apply the cems? Im thinking of a hand held or back pack chem sprayer to apply the chems. ive also learned that if aplying the chems to cover any plant life around the area of the house or at least keep the things wet.

L

lightning

hello

russ s said:
i rinse with my chem tipand the nozzle is about 3 to 4 feet from the roof so it is like nothing more than a hard rain when i rinse
I've been calling you but havnt been able to reach you. when is a good time to call

douseahouse

read...read...and then read

lightning,

good question, but if you'll go to the forum right under this one you'll see one called "what are you using to clean a roof?" read the posts so you'll get a good idea and then come back with some questions. as far as a backpack, only if you have a small area to clean and you are not using a chemical that is not recommended for that type of sprayer. alot of your questions have already been asked and answered so do your homework and these guys will check the answers for you.

good luck,

rando

NaClO

lightning said:
actually im looking to do just sidding and roofs. Im not sure why i chose this forum

To do roofs, you don't even need a pressure washer...just a good low or moderate volume pump (either a shurflo or a gas powered roller or diaphragm pump), some hose, a wand, and a tank for your roof chlorine mix.

russ s

lightning said:
I've been calling you but havnt been able to reach you. when is a good time to call

never ....just kidding .....i have been going night and day lately......sorry ......call me saturday morning

russ s

H2Ocean said:
I wouldn't strap any chemicals to my back!! What if it leaks down into your plumbers crack?

been there and dunn that ,HF in a backpack sprater up in a tunnell and the vitons gave way......what a burn

Our Sponsors