Water at edge of window

sshaw

After I finish squegeeing a window I sometimes have strips of water left along the frame of the window on the left and right side. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what I can do to correct the problem? Is there to much rubber sticking past the end of the channel? I have about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch sticking out past the end of the channel. Thanks.

Micah

That's referred to as "bleeding" and "crying". Try using different soap, different amounts of soap until you find something you like. Glass gleam is supposedly good in stopping that problem, although I don't feel it cleans well, exp. restruant windows.

windowmate

Its common. My squeege blades dont stick out any further than a 1/8 of an inch. Its a simple fix. Use low lint huck towels or a damp chamois to wipe the edges. I prefer the towels myself. And make sure you have a sharp blade. I change mine out as soon as the edges start to round out.

sshaw

sshaw

Windowmate,

Thank you. I will check my blade. Maybe I need to change them more frequently.

sshaw

sshaw

Micah,

Thank you for your reply. Thats funny. I am using GG4 and I like it, but then that is about the only thing I have used, except for GG3. I will add some vinegar once in a while if I think it is needed.

xoddah

crying

sshaw said:
After I finish squegeeing a window I sometimes have strips of water left along the frame of the window on the left and right side.

old post BUT
i found that i was forcing water between the glass and the frame in my effort to wash the edge of frame at the same time i was washing the glass .. a few minutes later i had to go back and do the window again.. so now what i do is ..

use less water on the mop, wipe the parameter with the 'end' of the mop then scrub as usual

i use glass gleem, it works great because that is what i am familiar with and keep my water and tools clean i also use surgical blue towels that are lint free and never wash them with any other rags, they last a long time and i never have to wipe off the fuzz from terry cloths.

Windows R Us

I know this is an old post, but here's a great fix for this common problem.

It's all about how you angle the squeegee. When you go down the right side, angle the right end of the blade down. This pulls the water up the blade and away from the edge of the window. On the left side, do the opposite. Left end of the blade down.

Practice with straight strokes and once you have it perfected, incorporate into your fan technique. We have gotten it down to where we hardly have to use a towel at all. My guys go through an entire house and use only one detail towel.

Dan Fields explains the technique in his video "Construction Window Cleaning Basics"

PRO WINDOW

Squeege Size And Adjustments

I Have Different Squeeges For Diffent Jobs And Projects. I Cut To Size And Use L And Z 's And Backward Pulls. I Have Adjustable Squegge Rubbers. I Allso Sharpen The Rubbers When Needed. As Far As Useing One Rag Per Job I Detail All Four Sides. I Guess I'ts Fool Proff As Far As Crieing Goes!! All Most !! I've Went To Paper Towel For Leavel Stuff And Higher Stuff I Use A Pole And Rag. It's One Of This And That Per Job !! Just So Theres Quaillty And Then Speed . Stan, Pro Window Knleening

llaczko

After I finish squegeeing a window I sometimes have strips of water left along the frame of the window on the left and right side. Can anyone tell me what is causing this and what I can do to correct the problem? Is there to much rubber sticking past the end of the channel? I have about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch sticking out past the end of the channel. Thanks.
Try cutting the rubber down to 1/16 inch, and using less solution.

TripleC

Wait until the water dries then detail the edges with a dry rag. That way you're not just dragging more water around the window.

Our Sponsors