When is a waste water system needed?

chechnya

As some of you may know, i will be starting a PW business but the talk of waste water collector is scary. Not so much scary but i do not understand when and where a waste water collector is needed?

north coast

Under the Clean Water Act, a company cannot discharge industrial wastewater into "waters of the state" with out permit. Wastewater generated by power washing is considered industrial wastewater. By directly discharging or allowing wastewater to run into drains, creeks, rivers, lake etc., you can found to be in violation of the Clean Water Act and also your state and local pollution control laws.

grasshawg

You should call the Commision on Evnvironmental Quality in your state (TX) and get our state's specific guidlines. Send me your email address, and I'll send you the link to a great article about this. (I tried to post it before, but it got deleted.)
Also, check with the water treatment facility in the city/town in which you will be working. Some city ordinances vary. They can modify the state laws to add to it, as long as the original intent of the law remains intact.
When you get this article, read it carefully. Be careful, though. It may bore you to death. but there's great info in it.
Randy

windowmate

Im a window cleaner and we do a little pressure washing for our customers homes. How do you collect waste water when the water has alread entered the grass? What are some of the tools used if I were to start doing sidewalks and driveways?

grasshawg

Generally, wastewater collection is not required when house washing or roof cleaning because the soil provides adequate absorption and dissipation of any potentially harmful chemicals. I suppose it would depend on the homeowner's assn, if any. I don't think the city or state would put that tight of a restriction on it. Then again, I've been wrong before. (I think I was 7) :)
If you're doing sidewalks and driveways, use whatever means necessary to prevent wastewater from running down to the street and getting into the storm drains, i.e., dams, or oilsocks.
Randy

D

Dave Ott

Also remember for those of you that wash houses and Decks you also need to check for sump pumps in basements. If you strip decks and run a lot of stripper and chemicals into the ground they will not magically disappear and usually end up in the sump sytem, and this also includes old stains. Most sump systems will be pumped into a local ditch, canal, or other storm drain (sewer) not sanitary sewers in most cities. Sump fills up with your chemicals, stains, and alot of water and continues to empty itself into the ditches, canals, and streams.

Our Sponsors