Stucco

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I have a 80 year old stucco house I am giving a quote on. I did a test patch with a detergent I would normally use. It worked well. But needed to be worked in with a soft brush, it still left a little mildew in the pores.

I want to use as little pressure and brushing as possible. The surface is strong, the good old true stucco. But it's design is very wavy with a sandy like outer surface. If you rub your hand across it some of the sand particles come loose, which seems normal.

I was considering a chlorine test patch, figuring it would get into the pores and get the mildew out with very little pressure or brushing.

Any ideas?

Also I was talking to Craig from PW/Unlimited and he brought up a good idea! However with out a solution yet. Is there a way to add a scent to the chlorine mix to ease the smell. I was thinking something like a strong citrus.

Even if it does not get rid of the smell all together it may alter it to the point of bearable.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

[This message has been edited by Dan Flynn (edited February 29, 2000).]

Rob53

I have only cleaned a couple of newer stucco homes and had good luck with a bleech solution. I mix 5gal. of bleech to 8onces of lycsol (sp?)cleaner and put it on through download injector. I rinse with low pressure . It cleaned them up nice. Good luck

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Thanks Rob,

Please keep them coming, would love a few different opinions on this one.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
708 715-4206

[This message has been edited by Dan Flynn (edited February 29, 2000).]

Richard

Originally posted by Dan Flynn:
I have a 80 year old stucco house I am giving a quote on. I did a test patch with a detergent I would normally use. It worked well. But needed to be worked in with a soft brush, it still left a little mildew in the pores.

I want to use as little pressure and brushing as possible. The surface is strong, the good old true stucco. But it's design is very wavy with a sandy like outer surface. If you rub your hand across it some of the sand particles come loose, which seems normal.

I was considering a chlorine test patch, figuring it would get into the pores and get the mildew out with very little pressure or brushing.

Any ideas?

Also I was talking to Craig from PW/Unlimited and he brought up a good idea! However with out a solution yet. Is there a way to add a scent to the chlorine mix to ease the smell. I was thinking something like a strong citrus.

Even if it does not get rid of the smell all together it may alter it to the point of bearable.

Dan I don't like to use a "scented' bleach it kinda of masks to odor and if I cant smell it i end up sniffing to much of it and I end up getting a headache.

tucker

DAN,
Have a bid in to do a stucco clinic and I feel they would rather not have patients complaining about the smell. Also, patients may have respiratory problems and chlorine could possibly cause them difficulty breathing. I know I am not allowed to promote any particular company but there is a limon(citric based product that I was going to try. I decided to do the job at night put this in the bid and explained because of this I would have probably higher bid than other bids. Told them basically if they wanted to go with the low bid that they didn't want me. Because it is a large company, I haven't heard from them yet. However, their head maintenance man wanted me to get the job and has asked me to bid on something else already. Had also considered a product from a large restoration chemical supplier but their prices are out of sight.

Hope this helps,
TUCKER

J Prewitt

Hi Dan:
Question: sulfuric acid, will attack any organic matter, and is also used in battery’s, and it’s a big usage in liquid fertilizers on farms. Sulfuric acid has no smell, cheep, good for the soil can be deluded to any concentration needed on the spot. Would it be better than using bleach which will kill plants?? Don’t know just wanted to ask a expert.
J Prewitt

Any ideas?

Terry Buchamer

I dont know if you have a line of product from KRYTON they have something called 725 and it specifically works on mold and mildew, i would not use much pressure if you can rub off some of the finish! If you cant find this call me and I will find out where you can get it.

Terry

Any ideas?

Our Sponsors