WHEN NOT KNOWING WHAT TO CHARGE ?

J

Jim&Shirley

THIS QUESTION GETS ASKED ALOT.
hope this will HELP Others and get more Notice here
hope this is Ok. or it can be Moved!!

Mike H. Has Answered This so many Times thought we would just post it.

when not knowing or not sure what to charge for any Job. Just ask your-self what is my time and or labor
worth per hour Plus exspences, somtimes we all get dumb founded,but when thought out this should answer that Question.

JIM & SHIRLEY

------------------

Bridget

I couldn't agree more.

We all wish that there was a master list of prices that would tell us what we needed to know for each job we encounter, especially for those flat jobs that seem so unique.

There are printed lists that give you a range, but it all boils down to....when your on the job and your washing that piece of equipment,deck or building, do you feel good about what you'll receive at the end of the day.

I'm sure many of us get that gut feeling when we are working on our proposal as to whether or not we think the price is too high or too low.

You give it your best shot. When we have picked a real good price (not a low price, but a fair profitable price) and we don't get the job, we have no regrets.

What I find extremely useful from this board is when a job is posted for suggestions, you guys/gals come through for us by sharing what to look out for, what to consider when washing, what soaps should be used, what you should avoid etc... That information is far more valuable than what the job should it be priced at.

P.S.
For the washers just starting out, bidding is most challenging. Especially since they haven't generated enough business or experience to know what their cost factors are yet. It is in these cases when this board has stepped up to lend a helpful hand.
smile.gif

Ya gotta love this board!!!

------------------
Bridget
United Mobile Power Wash
Our Power Is In Our
Performance
WWW.WeWashTrucks.com

Jackrabbit

I think you win the game when there's more days you laugh because it was easy money than days you fret that you lost your $$$ backside.

JRabbit

Clean County

Ditto with all the above. When I give a price, I think to myself this will be good if I get the job. I don't give a low price because then I get bummed when I think of all the work I have to do to make the money.
-John-

------------------

Cali

I couldn't agree with you all anymore. I think we have all had to live and learn. I have too many stories of getting into something new, and then thinking to yourself, My God what did I get myself into!! I like to think that the longer I have been in this that I don't do that to myself anymore. But there are still occasions.
But yes, what Mike said is absolutely right. When faced with a job I have never done before, I always look at the job, and at least figure out how long it will probably take me, the expenses, and then what I think I am worth per hour. Then I backtrack and figure out a price. I don't tell a customer that I figure it out per hour, but I have been known to tell the customer blundtly that I had never done this kind of job before, and give myself a HUGE margin for error. I will usually tell the customer I will put in 3-5 hours on the first time, and then we will discuss the progress, and possible change in price if it presents any new problems. So, far it has worked well for me.

Kendra Tillery

------------------

Walt Graner

Ditto with all the above, a hourly price is a must to have, then you can factor in all the other stuff per job.
We also have a map of the city with rings draw from the office going out in 20 minute intervals +/-. The farther away you get from home base the more $ is charged for trip.

------------------
Walt Graner
"Off The Wall" Graffiti

Ken @ Pro-Coat

Hi Folks!
All good info. All jobs can't be priced by sq. footage. Time and material, certainly come into play, at times.
Walt, I like the "ring" system on the map, good idea.

Regards,
Ken S.

------------------
"The BEST job at a fair price"

Our Sponsors