Gutter Cleaning

Mirage Cleaners

I don't really advertise for gutter cleaning, but it seems like most people want them cleaned when they get their houses washed.

It's a hassle because I have to set up ladders against the house to get into the gutters and flush them out.

I'm sure there's an easier way. Is there a special attachment I can get?

------------------

Clean County

People will take anything extra they can especially if its free. I've had numerous jobs where people want more then what you are charging them for. Every now & then I may add a little extra in but usually whatever I charged them for is what I do and not much more. I tell people up front that I clean the exterior of the gutters thats it. If your customers want you to do the interior of the gutters then price it accordingly. Gutter cleaning alot of times is an add on to this business. When I come across this I have a friend who has a gutter cleaning business and I refer this part of the job to him. A couple of times a year I do it but I make sure I charge them. Time is money -JOHN-

------------------

Mike Hughes

I do gutter cleaning as a whole seperate item. I offer it year round.........and I never include it in a house washing job. I wouldn't get involved in trying to pressure wash the debris out of the gutters.......to much hassle and mess. Plus, you need to check all of the downspouts also. Don't give it away......

If you have no interest in gutter cleaning, do like John said and hook up with someone who does gutters......he could probably refer you alot of house washing jobs.....

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Mirage Cleaners

Mike,

I am interested in gutter cleaning since it would be extra money while I'm already on the job.

Can you please tell me what's involved. It seems like you don't use the pressure washer to flush it out. What accessories do I need to buy?

thanks . . . .

------------------

Chris Mc 3

Most Window Cleaners will be more than happy to take on this kind of work, especially if you are in a heavy yearly rain-fall area. You can make a TON of $$'s !

If you arent scared of hieghts, the best / quickest way to do it is from the roof. Get a box of 5 gallon trash bags and a shoulder bag...(like the kind bike messengers wear etc)...Sit your hiney down as far toward the gutter as possible and slide it (your butt) along the roof and empty out the gutter using a scoop, or big, heavy, thick plumbers gloves.

As soon as you fill up the bags, tie a simple knot, then throw them over the side and out on to the lawn. Use strong bags, after all, part of the reason for doing this is to avoid a mess...I.E...All you have to do is pick up the bags on your way out.

After the gutters are free from debris, take a hose with a good high pressure attatchment and spray them clean all the way to the down-spouts and make sure they are clear. A nice, yet very simple pipe snake is a MUST...You will ALWAYS come accross a down-spout that will NOT un-clogg by simply spraying it out.

Its really a 2 man job, if you are doing anything over one story high...also the "Safety" factor. I use a "Top / Roof" man (me) and a "Bottom / Ground" guy. (someone else) You really want / need someone to do the "Ground Work / Clean Up" while your are on the roof or the ladder, unless you have time to waste going up and down getting things etc...It just seems to go smoother with 2 people.

If you really, REALLY want to make an impression as well as get MANY referals, carry a hammer, screwdriver and some nails, a small tree (bow) saw, pruner..etc.

I try to cut everything (as much as I can anyway) that hangs directly over the gutter. In my town they pick up anything by the curb (branches, leaves etc) once per week, so I leave the pile out there so they (property owners) can actually SEE what all was done. It DOES make quite an impression ! (and gets you referals)

I also do "Lite" repair work to the gutter, albeit nothing major...if an extra nail or screw will do it and wont take too long, I take care of that too, but I usually include this into my estimate (at least in my head) of what I expect to make for my hourly wage. (and helper)

I start out charging about $60.00 per hour, but I dont tell this to the property owner, I just give them the bid for the completed job.

I have a freind who does this full time 4-6 months out of the year and NOTHING else in between. He doesnt need to...makes enough to "Skate" through the rest of the year, but he's been doing it almost 10 years and has approx 90 regular clients who he has been servicing for the better part of 8 years, not including the "GET OVER HERE...I NEED YOU RIGHT NOW !" calls, which he charges whatever he "Feels" like, and they gladly pay it, as its pouring down rain and backing water up unto the roof and now its comming through the ceiling and dripping on to their Entertainment Centers...But Hey...They thought they could last ANOTHER year without having it (gutters) done...LOL !!!

Anyway...

Hope this helps.

Chris Mc 3

------------------

Chris-Shiner Window Co. Sacto Ca.

Our Sponsors