stained a deck and it looks worse then it did before...HELP!!

Wood Care Plus

Hi guys, I need help..
Three weeks ago I striped a small 120 sq foot deck..Deck is 7 years old. Now that I cleaned it looks like redwood (it has a reddish ting to it) They told me it was pine but I dont think so. Everything went as planned...then last week I waited til I knew it was going to be hot and dry for at least two days, then I stained it with Wolmans F&P Natural.
First I sanded some areas..swepted it clean, started doing the railings by brush... then I used my pump-up since it was a small deck...After I finished, I backed brushed so there were no puddles and it penetrated into the wood... When I left every thing looked pretty good...It rained two days after I stained....so a week later I went back to check it out and it looked HORRIBLE.
There were patch marks..some places looked Ok and the rest looked aweful. Some spots are shinny...some spots look like I didn't even put stain down. It looked like someone stained it 5 years ago- not last week..
WHAT DID I DO WRONG????
I bought 85 gallons of Wolmans stains two months ago... and I just found out that they were made in July 1998...According to Wolmans it's OK...Is that true????
Could that be the problem???
Did I back brush too much??
Should I have used a solid colour oil penetrating stain since the deck is 7yrs old?
P.S. I also used my drill to mix it ... I feel that I mixed it pretty good??
Please try to help me...My income depends on it!!

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Did you strip the deck first, or just clean it?

Souds like there was some stain/sealer that was not removed.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

Wood Care Plus

No the paint was almost all off...just some on the spindles and near some knots. I used Wolmans fence/deck brightner and just powerwashed the rest off.
thx
Wood Care Plus

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
It may have been a clear coat on the floor. The cleaner you used is just that. A cleaner and has zero effect on removing sealers.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

The first thing you should always do is perform a splash test with water in various places on the deck. If it beads anywhere, you have old sealer. In your case, all is not lost. Strip the old F&P off and start over again(I know you don't want to hear this). You should wait 24 to 72 hours before you apply the F & P product. Wolman Extreme can be applied to a damp surface since it is a water borne acrylic.
Call me at 1-800-983-7467 if you need to talk.
Ron/Xterior

Our Sponsors