Am I WAY off????

dartonviper

I went and looked at a job the other day that was a HUGE 2½ story home, the lady wanted all 66 windows and 52 storms washed inside and out. A majority of the cleaning would have to be done with a (big) ladder. I'm not even sure my 32 footer would reach the upper level. While we were talking she told me that her paiter used to wash the windows 2 times a year and it took him 16-18 hours to complete the job. Since I have never bid on a window job, I came here searching for answers. Some where I read that you should try to be around $25 an hour. So I went with $26.50 @18 hrs. (since she told me that) She told me that I was WAY out of line and she only paid the other guy $250. She also said that if I drop my price down to that I could have the job.
NO THANKS, I make more than that on my full time job.
Let me know if I'm way out of line or not. Thanks, Jim

------------------

Fairway

Our price for those windows would have been $15 per window.(For 6 panes over 6 panes with storms). For the windows without storms it would be $8 per window. Storm jobs take a while and I doubt that 1 person could do this job the right way in 16 hours, especially a painter who probably doesn't have much experience washing windows.

------------------

Mike Hughes

You are not out of line, she is. If she can find anyone to do that amount of work for $250, let her go for it. Don't bring yourself down to that level.

I stopped cleaning storm windows two years ago. Last year I stopped cleaning inside windows altogether. Now I only clean exterior windows, and the customer has to remove the screens before we come. No more hassles with scheduling and being inside peoples houses. That's the trouble with window cleaing, they expect the world and don't want to pay for it.

If I were you, I would not clean a storm window for any less then $10 per window. Good luck, and just forget about that lady.....if you accepted the job, she sounds like the type that follows you around the house pointing out every little streak or smudge. (I've BEEN THERE)
laughing.gif

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

dartonviper

Thanks Guys,
I really didn't want to clean the windows anyway. I don't like to clean the windows on my own house and I'm not going to do it for someone else and not make much money. I have a full time job that is 3-12hr nights and hopefully my powerwashing takes off in the spring as well as it has the past few months. I'll stay away from windows as much as I can. That's a promise.

Jim

------------------

Tony Evans

We're at $30 minimum for a storm window (that's the cleaning of the storm and window it covers on all sides) now. When I started the rate was around $10 per unit. Funny thing is that we get a lot of calls because most guys in our area won't touch them for any price.

Our Sponsors