Concrete roof tile cleaning

kdfoust

Hi:

I got a RFQ from a local community for cleaning their concrete tile facias. Basically these are 3 to 5 courses of concrete tiles painted (or maybe dyed) red to look like clay tile. The 3 to 5 courses are at 1st story level (from 8-1/2 to 12 feet off the ground) with good access all around them. I must say, they look terrible with all kinds of moss, lichens and mildew growing on them.

I talked to the building manager and we agreed that I could do a test cleaning in an unconspicuous area before I quote. I plan to test Clorox (and swimming pool chlorine) on these tiles. Is there anything other chemical I should have along for the testing?

This is a great opportunity for my business: we are talking about 41 buildings total, all single story, all good access.

What's even better is that the building manager tried to have his crews do the job. They gave up. First they tried to wire-brush the tiles clean. Can you imagine that? Then they tried pressure washing without chems. They have surrendered at this point and just want someone (me) to come and take care of it for them.

Thanks and have fun,
Kevin

Richard

I was just wonder what kinda pitch is on the roof, tile can become incredibly slippery major fall potential. if its concrete tile I would treat it the same as if I were cleaning mold off the side of a concrete wall.
Richard

kdfoust

These literally are facias so they are almost straight up and down. I don't plan to walk on them cause I can reach them from the ground with a sprayer.

Thanks and have fun,
Kevin

Originally posted by Richard:
I was just wonder what kinda pitch is on the roof, tile can become incredibly slippery major fall potential. if its concrete tile I would treat it the same as if I were cleaning mold off the side of a concrete wall.
Richard

Our Sponsors