Gum Ghost Removal

Richard R.

There are a few members who have been interested as to how I remove gum ghost.

Not long ago, I accidently discovered chemicals that seem to work real well for removing these ghosts. These chemicals have been under our noses for a long time. Some exhaust cleaners use these chemicals almost everyday.
The product that I have found to have the strongest combination of these chemicals are found in Zep's Oven Brite.
Now, before you get your hopes up about this product, let me say a few things first. This product does work, but it slows your time down in cleaning. I also need to add that if you are cleaning by way of scheduled maintanance, you are probably going to loose a few hours along the way.
There are a few more things to keep in mind. When trying to get a contract, Gum Ghost can sometimes determine how many times the property owner wants you back for a scheduled maintenance.
As it stands, most power washers know that gum ghost will exist after the first cleaning and that it incourages more annual cleanings in order that the gum ghost will eventually disappear. If you clean it up the first time, there will be more and more property owners refuse to schedule more than about two cleanings per year.
I may be wrong, but I think some use the gum ghost as a reason to schedule more cleanings during the year.
For those who don't agree and choose to clean it the first time around, this is how I do it.
I use a kitchen style suction bulb or large syringe to draw the chemical and squirt a small puddle on the top of the gum ghost. I let it dwell for 5 or 10 minutes and come back with about 212 degree hot water and spray a direct flow on the ghost until it disappears. Remember, I'm only using 1000psi hotwater machine, so I think it would work for you with the 3000psi. If I'm not mistaken, it also comes up with my cold water machine after I let it dwell for a little longer.
If anyone has any question, let me know.

Take Care
Richard R.

Last edited:

Our Sponsors