Need a New Computer!

Austin

Mark, glad to see someone else who likes MAC. I would have already bought one except they are pricey. I would go with another if I were you because anything running windows is sure to crash sometime.

When I get my home studio built for digital recording you won't see any PC's thats for sure, they can do with 400mhz what takes 2ghz in a PC.

Mike, I just recently bought an HP ze5170 and I like it but the next desktop I buy will be a mac for sure.

I personally think the only reason PC is more popular now is because of the price and interchangeability.

I,ve used dual monitor setups on PC too but it seems to lighten the load on it for some reason. I guess its because the dual monitor video cards are faster since they only process half the information per side.

Beth

Hi Mark,
Hmmmm.... I am a PC gal myself, but I gotta tell you, that the Mac has its place. If I were 100% into desktop publishing and graphics, the Mac would be my choice. But, I'm not, and there are more programs available for the PC that meet basic business needs than for the Mac.

So.... I'm on my second Compaq. Had a Dell laptop when working in software, won't go there... loved Windows NT. The laptop provided to me, could have been a little beefier. I am certain there are better ones out there. Have not used a Gateway. Have an HP Color Laser Printer and love it, and this spring may add a pc to the office. If we do, it will be an HP, with Windows 2000, not XP. The Compaq I have now has a Celeron processor and it has been great.

To me, when I shop for a PC, I always look at the expansion room it has. You should always have room to add memory, drive space, or any other component. To me that's an important thing to look for.

Also, think about the software you currently have and how your data is stored. If you had backups of data then you might be sold on the Mac for that reason. But, you might also be faced with software upgrades. These are things folks don't always like to think about when buying but have to. I sold software and hardware for 14 years. I was never the type to sell without laying it all out on the table for the customer.

Make a list of things you have, things you need, and things you want. Look at the PC's and what they offer and see which ones will deliver it to you.

I hope this helps you to wade through it. By the way, it doesn't get any better than talking tech with Tony, and if you need PC advice, and decide to go that route I would take him up on his offer of a call.

Beth:cool:

Beth

Mark,
The printers should work. You may need to download drivers for them but they should. I know the HP will. Epson is also largely a PC printer.
Beth

Austin

Not all HP's have mother boards with integrated components. You can get external or integrated sound and video cards. You can get just about any brand name of computer with what ever you want however you want. The brand name is just the the logo on the case of your system anyway. My Gateway has the same Intell mother board that my brothers Compaq has. My Gateway has a Deskstar hard drive same as many Dells and other systems. And it also has an Intell P4 processor and yup you guessed it its the same as many other brand name PC's on the market. I do agree with the idea that the " Ready to Go" desktops systems are built with low cost in mind but you can custom order. You just have to determine your needs and go from there.

You could go on and on about brands of PC's like you could about Chevy's and Fords but the fact is just figure out what you want and get it from the company with the best tech support. Keep in mind you'll pay alot more with Dell.

I know MACs are what you will find where the work is very intensive Graphics Design and Digital recording studios. Places that can't afford for a Windows machine to crash which will. The Mac OS is much more stable than Windows.

You could go with PC and use Linux or Unix but they aren't very user friendly however they are very stable as appossed to Windows. These are good OS's but will probably never become popular among common consumers. I know many IT Pros who use the OS for programming when not using a DOS based program because of thier stability.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Well I did it !

Bought 2 PCs tonight, a Compaq Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ 512 mbDDRAM etc.
For the front office.

A Pentium 4, 2.66GHZ 512 MB DDRAM 120 gig Hard Drive etc. with 17" Flat panel for my desk.

Running Windows Xp will upgrade to XP Pro soon.

Bringing my Macs home.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
SO FAR SO GOOD!

THIS PC IS FAST!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread!

:)

Never thought I would like a PC before?

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
[GLOW=blue]Just Retired my last Mac[/GLOW]

Went with a Sony Vaio model PCV-RZG, and an NEC flat panel monitor.

I love it!:cool:

Attachments

• pcvrz.jpg
    pcvrz.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 30

Our Sponsors