Welcome to the Power Wash Network "The Power Wash Contractors Forum".
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is best cleaner for cleaning asphalt roof,shingles

Thanks for the info on pool shock.That was one place I thought about but was not sure.
    Thanks for all your help,all of you!

Talking

This is my first post but i aggree about the 12%,ive used it for years, im thinking of going full time in the washing buisness, where i live no one does roofs , most dont have any idea it can be cleaned,does any one have any advice about leaving a fulltime job making 60 a year and going full time into the cleaning buisness thank you

Around here our pool supply stores sell 12% for $5.00 a gallon! If you buy it in bulk you can get it for $4 but it's definetly not a deal.

I've tried bleach and 3 sodium hydroxide based roof cleaners and the good ones work about the same as pool bleach. There are a couple places in the area that I've found that I can buy bleach from now for about 2.25 a gallon and that's what we usually use. It just depends on the client and on the job. Some manufacturers say that using bleach will void the warrantee on the shingles but I haven't noticed any problems and I've been doing it for quite some time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Bockman
    Around here our pool supply stores sell 12% for $5.00 a gallon! If you buy it in bulk you can get it for $4 but it's definetly not a deal.

I've tried bleach and 3 sodium hydroxide based roof cleaners and the good ones work about the same as pool bleach. There are a couple places in the area that I've found that I can buy bleach from now for about 2.25 a gallon and that's what we usually use. It just depends on the client and on the job. Some manufacturers say that using bleach will void the warrantee on the shingles but I haven't noticed any problems and I've been doing it for quite some time now.
    $5/gallon is amazing! I pay $1.15/gallon and that is higher than it has been in some time. Stick with what works best for you. I like bleach for many different reasons.
    TIM ASELTON SOFTWASHING LLC.
    TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA
    SINCE 1994
    www.softwashing.com

Quote Originally Posted by bluedawg
    This is my first post but i aggree about the 12%,ive used it for years, im thinking of going full time in the washing buisness, where i live no one does roofs , most dont have any idea it can be cleaned,does any one have any advice about leaving a fulltime job making 60K a year and going full time into the cleaning buisness thank you
    You need to do what your gut tells you to do, 60 is no problem if you go at it the right way. Shoot for #1 in your town and don't settle for less. Do the best job, advertise the best, have the best equipment, build a great website, and show great confidence when estimating jobs. You will be #1 if you work hard and want it bad enough!
    Last edited by taselton2; 10-12-06 at 09:26 PM.
    TIM ASELTON SOFTWASHING LLC.
    TALLAHASSEE, FLORIDA
    SINCE 1994
    www.softwashing.com

Thumbs up Roof Clean Chems

Raw chlorine, or sodium hypochlorite, will clean the roof, in a sense that it will kill mold spores and sanitize bacteria. Being as powerful as it is, it usually cleans stains pretty well, depending on the dilution. It should never be used @ more than 30%, and a complete rinse is needed. It should be "misted" onto shingle roofs, and saturated onto tile roofs (during your one hour set time you'll want to flush out the plants and shrubbery).
    Sodium Hydroxide- Just like "sodium hypochlorite" is the polite name for chlorine, "sodium hydroxide" is the polite name for LYE. When roof cleaning was in it's early stages, LYE was used to clean shingle & tile roofs. Lye is Caustic soda, very dangerous stuff. So chlorine became the alternative. It was safer (not much, but indeed safer) and worked better. Now, as time has evolved, sodium hydroxide is the way to "not use bleach". But it's only history repeating itself!
    "What's the best roof cleaner?"
    Well, it's NOT chlorine... it's NOT caustic soda... it's NOT hydrogen poroxide or Trisodium Phosphate. It's not the spray on and forget chems, either. Go to home depot & get their roof cleaner. You can dilute every 1 gal of roof cleaner with 3 gals of water, and pull with your 20% (5:1) downstream injector. OR...it will work mixed @ a ratio of 1 gal roof cleaner to 7 gals water when applied direct (shur-flo, gas powerd app, etc). The cleaner's active biocide will turn yellow as it cleans, and 1 hour later your residuals will rinse away @ low pressure (using your 80 tip). After you're done, you can dilute @ 1 gal roof cleaner to 16 gals water and do a final "over-tone" (just apply a final application product and allow to dry, with no rinse). You can do that every six months on maintenance programs and the roof will never get dirty again.
    Being a newbie, it's hard to afford non-chlorine chems. But the roof cleaner @ home depot is 22 bucks a gal... it's appx 45 big onez to clean a roof. When cleaning tile, you'll be using a mixture ratio of 50% chlorine, 50% roof cleaner (w/5 cups TIDE, 1 cup DAWN, 2 cups CARNUBA CAR WASH & WAX). Again, an overtone should be done. If you MUST use sodium hypochlorite, just be very careful. Always flush plantlife, and always rinse. Don't get near vinyl, glass, or cars.
    MightyMike
    Roof-Brite, (of Palm Coast) Inc.
    Est.1991, Voted BEST AROUND every year since '94.
    "The Pressure Washing Alternative"
    roofbrite1@yahoo.com

Blog Entries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information