How do you do it?

bigdog265

Hey guys,

I've been doing fleetwashing by brush and I have quickly figured out that two-stepping is the way to go. I'm just not sure how to get started. I guess the first place to start is with equipment.

Currently, I have my pw connected to my tank with a valve and hose assembly. When washing, I simply connect the customers water to my tank, spray soap using the downstream injector, brush the truck, and then rinse with high pressure.

So where do I start? I can't really afford a complete two-step machine right now. How can I modify what I have to work?

Thanks for all the help.

Greg

------------------

Scott Stone

I would talk or E-mail Ethan at Mobilclean. He manufactures the two step machines, so can be assumed to have good grip on the technology. If nothing else, it might be less expensive than you though to do it. There are a couple of other guys that do it often, or all of the time. Bigboy and Ramon Cote who is on the board sometimes are two that I know of right off hand. That should get you started.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Dan S

hey bigdog

2 step is alright i guess....and im sure the machine is worth ,or may even be better than what you have .i never tried the 2-step machine.

however you say you have a p/wer...if you want to start washing trks. start with what you have and go from there.is it a hot water one?

i do alot of trks. and never 2-step and i use a simple
5 @ 3000 psi machine ( hot h2o ). and i dont brush unless it is real real dirty.

i would however talk to ethan like scott said you may just love the 2-step machine. for me personaly i cant see spending more $$ to do what im doing with the machine i have.......but who knows i may get one some day.

------------------
ISN'T LIFE GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE LORD !!!!!!

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
bigdog

All you need is a chemical tank to put your 2-step chemical in.You have done got what you need,downstreamer.Apply the 2-step chemical the same way your appling your soap now.

Keep in mind I use cat pumps when upstreaming the 2-step chemical they will hold up to the harshness of the 2-step chemical.

Mostly I use the downstreamer for better control of where the 2-step chemical is going plus its not going threw by pump or coils but I do apply it though upstream alot of times when I need to speedup alittle,it applys it alittle faster.

I use the dual lance to work the downstreamer,the spray tip on one side is a 3010,also I use 4020,4010 and 3020,, on the other side its a 7.5-15 also I use 7.5-25,8-15,8-25,9-15,9-25.

If you use the downstreamer take it off when finished for the day and (I dip mine in the soap tank to kill all acid then put it in a small plastic box with a real mild soap,it'll last a long long time that way).

Post if you need more info:

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.
When In Doubt,,,Think It Out.....triplel@bscn.com

bigdog265

Thanks for the replys.

I have spoken with Ethan and he sent some literature on two-stepping machines. There a little out of my price range for now but sooner or later I would like to get one.

Bigboy,
That's exactly the answer I needed. I wasn't sure if I could downstream or not. So you use a dual-wand, huh. That sounds like the way to go. Do you use manual valves on your chemical tanks or do you have a remote control unit?

Dan,
Do you spray cleaner on upstream or downstream? What type of cleaner are you using?

Thanks guys
Greg

------------------

[This message has been edited by bigdog265 (edited January 03, 2001).]

Larry L.

I use the manual values and
Upstream all soaps.

Yes the dual lance is my ticket,think its the only way to go if your 2-stepping,you'll see why after you learn how to use.

if you need more info just post.

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.

washman

In reference to 2-stepping, there are less expensive ways i.e. equipment to that particular method of fleet washing. We have washed fleets for the better part of 5 yrs and we have found this system works best all around. Removing dirt and road film, making the aluminum look like new!! Would like to see someone wash a black trailer in the heat of summer in 15 minutes or less and make it look like new without using a 2-step method. For more info e-mail us at john@maxywash.com
Rock On
John & Pat

------------------

Dan S

bigdog<><><><><>
i use downstream only ;i never use upstream.
however the best way thet works for me is using a shur-flo. i made a speical wand with a 25 degree nozzel @ the end and it sprays soap quick and throws a great pattern.
i have yet to find a soap that will clean those trks. spotless with the downstream .and i have tried em all ( i think ).
with the shur-flo it gives it time to sit and soak up the dirt. and when i come back to rinse it takes it all . once in awhile i need to pick up a brush ( crap there is that b word ).
i do alot of black,--and --white trks . and those blk. trks. look like i brush em when im done.
another reason i like shru-flo is i carry my own h2o and using the downstream requires more h2o so i shy away from it so i dont have to keep going back fer h2o.
but when the temp. is the way it is i use the downstream because the soap freeze's when i drag my hose on the ground.
if a 2-step machine would ever fit in my budget i would try it .but i can do 2 step with the machine i have.ya know you can get a dual even a 3 way downstream alot cheeper.that way you are not going over to your buckets and putting your soap in the acid or vise-versa.
where are you from big-dog?

------------------
ISN'T LIFE GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE LORD !!!!!!

bigdog265

Dan S.,

That really sounds really cool. So let's see if I got it right. You spray on your soap with a sur-flo pump using a special wand, let it soak a minute, and then rinse using high pressure spray from your PW.

What do you do as far as the water and soap mix for the shur-flo? Do you use some type of injector? Or do you mix your soap up in with your water in the tank?

I have just been simply mixing up soap in a bucket just as you would when washing a car. Then a brush the trucks and rinse them with the PW. I can get the fleets spotless but it sure takes a long time.

I would also like to take just a second to say Thank You to the bbs owner and to everyone who moderates or takes the time to reply. I am obviousily new to the business. I would like to take some classes when money allows. But for now you guys are the greatest learning tool I have.

By the way Dan, I am from KENTUCKY, home of the University of Kentucky WILDCATS. GO BIG BLUE!

Thanks for the help

Greg

------------------

Larry L.

<FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Blue">Dan,when 2-stepping I use a flo-jet to prespray bugs with only.When I get ready to resoak the whole truck I use my main pump to do so.To me it saves alot of time because its faster less of a hassel.</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s><FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Maroon">Not only that but you can spray it higher plus it gets in ever crack and cranny better then the slow way.</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s><FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Maroon">You will use more presoak chemical at first but after you master it you'll never go back to the shr-flo.</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s><FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">You can idle your pw down to apply your presoak,it saves time becuase you don't haveta stop turn off your shr-flo,you can use your psi hose to apply then turn two values throw the juice to your pw and your back to rinsing.</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s><FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="MediumBlue">I'm plumd both ways as to the just prespraying for bugs,I keep my resoak stronger then needed most of the time but I just turn value 1/2 on,but if it needs to be stronger I turn it all the way on.</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s><FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Red">Don't know if this will help you any,but ya know how us truck washer,</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s><FONT size="5"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="DarkOrchid">Yel.</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s>

------------------

Dan S

that sound's great big boy when ya get time e-mail me with better direction's so me dumb ol PA boy can understand.

bigdog.............THAT'S RIGHT
i buy my soap in a liquid form 1 drum makes me about 7 55 drums of great soap. a lil costly to buy at first
but when ya consider how much ya get out of it it's a great price.
i dont use buckets i mix my soap like i said into another 55 drum. my shur-flo get's piped right into to it and i draw from that drm.if you have a shur-flo mount it with moter up ( in case ya get a leak )
i use the battery from my p/wer to run the shur-flo.
------------------ !!!!!!<FONT size="6">ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR</FONT s><FONT COLOR="Blue">Text</FONT c><FONT size="5">GO PENN STATE GO</FONT s><FONT size="6">Text</FONT s>

bigdog265

Thanks for all the great replies guys, don't know what I would do without this bbs to help me through.

I have lots more questions for you guys. I'll do them in other posts.

Thanks again

Greg

------------------

jeff kanaley

? for bigboy

probably a dumb question but whats the difference between a shurflow@ a flowjet i no a shureflow is a remote pump all by itself is a flowjet the same thing?

W

washmasters

fleet washing

I am new to this place as of tonight, but we do things completely different here. All this upstream and downstream injector stuff isn't used. I see it on the web and in catalogs but don't see the point. All we use is hot water and the shurflo pumps. I started out with a 2 step and a remote, but it doesn't compare to the hot water. The only advantage that I saw was cleaning hopper bottom trailers. The 2 step works pretty good with that. I only brush when I have to, and that isn't very often. I mix my chemical up a little stronger if I know that an account is going to be difficult. And believe me I do an animal processing plant and it doesn't get much nastier than that. We wash about 5 to 7 trucks an hour with the shurflo and the hot water. So if there is a faster way I would like to learn. Thanks.
Lance Bray

Larry L.

No problem,did several rigs today your way but also upstreamed some and downstreamed some,When I doing it your way I'm appling hot wax also.

Welcome,,,,how long have you been in business.

Dan S

thats all i do is trucks.... and pre-spray does do a quick job but in order to really make time you need another person to spray........ which is alright but ya got to pay'em.......

I have found out that with the up side ... it is just as quick maybe even quicker..... and i dont use as much soap..... i use more h20 .
and i dont have to have another hose dragging behind me.. most of the time i soap 2 trucks @ once..... and then go back and rince. When the temp is cool and overcast i can soap 3-4 @ once then rince later.I never did like up-dtream untill about 3 months ago when i set up my machine to do it right......... I up stream 2 dif. soaps. I have a 3 way ball valve that seperates the 2. when i want a dif. soap i turn the valve....it's that simple........ It makes it nice when you got room in your trk. to pump outa 2 -55 gal drums

W

washmasters

upstream and downstream

Thanks guys for the replies. I have been in business about 2 years. Things are really starting to boom for me. So much that I have to start thinking bigger. But if this upstream and downstream stuff is a lot faster then I need to learn what it takes and how to do it. As far as the labor goes, I do have a lot of it. Most of the time, especially when we have a lot of trailers to do, we will have one guy prespraying one brushing and the other washing. When we really have to get after it we will have two people brushing on trailers. So I do have to pay out some labor. But I can't get it all done by myself so what can you do. I would like to learn more about the stuff that ya'll are talking about. This is the way that I learned to do it and there really isn't anyone within miles of me that knows anything about pressure washing. Most people just think that I spray water and that is it. Any information is helpful. Please email me or call me. I have really enjoyed being able to talk about this with other people. Thanks.
Email:klbray@logantele.com, Phone #s Cell:270-779-1770 Home:270-725-9290. Thanks again.
Lance Bray

Dan S

Lance,

How many trailer's do you do ?

Ron,

I would be more than happy to tell you what soap im using...... but give me a lil. bit b/c I maybe changing soaps..... Steve R has a product that im going to try soon....... and if i go thru him I wont have access to the current soap im using now... It's a wonderfull soap but im sick of this guys price changes and the way he operates....... so im going to give Steve a shot.I'll let ya know the out come A.S.A.P

Our Sponsors