I HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS 17 YEARS SINCE DAY 3 I HAVE USED SWIMING POOL SHOCK 15% CHLORINE. I GET IT AT THE MANUFACTURE. IT IS STRONG!! TAKES MILDEW RIGHT OFF HOUSES.IF THE DECK JUST NEEDS CLEANING I USE IT ON THE DECK. TAKES MILDEW OFF THE CLEAR ETC. STAIN ALSO. IF IT'S DIRTY WITH GREEN SLIPERY STUFF I USE INCREDICLEAN, WORKS ON ALMOST ANYTHING I HAVE COME UP AGAINST. I USE ABOUT $5,000 WORTH OF CHLORINE A SEASON......
I use bleach all the time to clean decks. Just control the dilution rate. I do yearly maint, of decks without any problems. I would say that pressure treated will last for ever with cleaning and oiling.
My sinuses are a mess,my pants all have holes in them, all thanks to the bleach. I now use a product (very simular to the price of bleach)that you have to mix on the job site,because it evaporates in 2-3hours. This stuff is amazing to say the least. Spray it on wait 20-30min. wash off with low press. your done. With bleach you have to get to close to the wood ,which will splinter it .You can actually smell this stuff working.(smells just like mold)If the deck has really been abused it may take two coats,but who cares while you are waiting the20-30min. you are talking to the customer about cleaning thier sidewalks,patios,holm,etc.This product also works very well on roofs.My favorite part it is not harmful to anything. This includes plants,yard,sinuses,pants,vynil,paint,etc.I have to agree bleach is to harmful!!!!
I have just started in the Pressure Cleaning Service in my area. I will NOT use bleach on ANYTHING. What I use is biodegradable materials that I can get locally, cost is between 6 & 8 dollars a gallon. Sure, more expensive than a dollar gallon of bleach, but in my opinion, bleach will do more harm than good. It will, after time, destroy the wood, vinyl, etc. Some potential customers are wondering why other PWers are using bleach and only charging $50 on a </= 2000 sf home and I charge $135 for my services. Simple, I am not a Pressure Washer -- I am a Pressure CLEANER. I explain to them that I use the biodegradable materials because it will not cause a awful odor (many people have allergies), breakdown the shine and gleam on vinyl after a short period of time, will not harm plants, children, pets! I also use a brush on the house that will work to get the mold, mildew, dirt and grime!
Look, you guys that use bleach can continue if you desire. I am going to take the HIGH road and use what I feel that most customers would prefer . . . a REAL cleaning job . . . not just a blast and give me the cash! Integrity people, Integrity!! We have to answer for what we do.
I don't agree. What substance in bleach wears the texture and gloss away? Bleach does not harm vinyl no more than any biodegradable soap. If you making the statement, you must have proof. What is it? Where did you learn this information. I would like to read it - I don't want to cause harm to the vinyl homes that I clean.
If you are not using Chlorine to kill moldthen what chemical is out there that will replace chlorine.
As for biodegradable,you are aware that these are not completely harmless,they may be harmless to plant life,and maybe pets and humans but, not to the soil.Biodegradables also do not break down after rinsed,they take anywhere from days to months to fully break down.
In another post you said you are buying chems at Hd or Lowes,if you aren't using professional chemicals,What sets you apart from the weekend DIYer?
With the exception of chlorine(not household bleach),nothing we use can be bought over the counter by a homeowner.We use this as a selling point to customers,they seem to like that the products we use are professional grade and not available to them.
I to would like to see the info that chlorine breaks down vinyl prematurely.
It great you want to take the high road and be friendly to the environment but don't be duped by slick marketing.
Of all the environmental buzzwords, "biodegradable" has perhaps been the most misused and is perhaps the most difficult to understand. Because in the past there have been no guidelines or regulations, many products have called themselves biodegradable without any real justification.
A "biodegradable" product has the ability to break down, safely and relatively quickly, by biological means, into the raw materials of nature and disappear into the environment. These products can be solids biodegrading into the soil (which we also refer to as compost-able), or liquids biodegrading into water. Biodegradable plastic is intended to break up when exposed to microorganisms (a natural ingredient such as cornstarch or vegetable oil is added to achieve this result).
Every resource made by nature returns to nature-plants and animals biodegrade, even raw crude oil will degrade when exposed to water, air, and the necessary salts. Nature has perfected this system-we just need to learn how to participate in it.
By the time many resources are turned into products, however, they have been altered by industry in such a way that they are unrecognizable to the microorganisms and enzymes that return natural materials to their basic building blocks. Crude oil, for example, will biodegrade in its natural state, but once it is turned into plastic, it becomes an unsustainable pollution problem. Instead of returning to the cycle of life, these products simply pollute and litter our land, air, and water.
In conclusion "Bleach " is Biodegradable. Used in a conscientious manner and properly diluted it turns into salt. I hope this clears a few things up. No pun intended. Save yourself some money, try some bleach, it is as safe as the other product you are using.
You are missing the point. Go back and read the rest of this thread.
Any responsible house washer uses copious amounts of water to pretreat the foliage and surrounding plant life and final rinse. And using bleach in a diluted form further dilutes the product. As it breaks down in the earth it turns to organic salts, one of natures building blocks. Yes using pure undiluted sodium chloride IE salt is damaging. I am saying be responsible and conscientious how you apply your chemicals. Anything undiluted can be damaging, use a little common sense.
Take your body for an example, a little salt is good for seasoning your food and your body requires a small amount to survive, but a large dose is damaging and dangerous.
Try this test. Get you a PH meter. Test your soil before you wash. Use your biodegradable product rinse and test afterwards. Use bleach, rinse and test afterwards. I bet you will not see any difference. The reason is, you are not putting enough product on to make any difference.of change in the PH scale.